my birthing story


Finally writing about my son’s birth story. Yes, it took more than two years, but better late than never right??? 😀

Last 5 December 2012, my husband and I decided to put up our Christmas tree. I was 39weeks then. I didn’t feel anything unusual, but I felt really tired and I sat down for most part of the Christmas tree building process.

6 December at around 2 am, I woke up for my regular 2am bathroom break. Still didn’t feel anything unusual then. But when I went back to bed at around 3am, I started feeling strong back aches that came and went. It felt similar to the back pains you get when you’re having your period. I didn’t even think that I was having contractions… not until I went back to the toilet and found blood on my undies. I knew then that I was having contractions and that it was time to go to the hospital. (I learned during our birthing class that one of the reasons to go to the hospital is when you see blood) I woke my hubby up and told him that I was taking a bath and we need to go to the hospital soon. (good thing our hospital bags were packed and ready to go). So after a quick shower for both of us, we were off to the hospital.

But before leaving the house, I texted the following people: my OB, our selected pedia and our birthing photographer, to let them know that we’re on our way to the hospital 😀

We arrived at St. Luke’s Global at around 4:30am, we went directly to the delivery room, as instructed by my OB. I was quickly admitted and was ushered to a High Risk Pregnancy Unit room. HRPU rooms are more expensive than going to a normal labor room, but I preferred to go to an HRPU room so that my husband can stay with me throughout my labor.

The resident OB checked and I was 3cm dilated at that time, and baby was not yet engaged. Was told to rest first, while they wait for my OB’s instructions.

At around 5am we started texting our family to let them know that I was already in the hospital. By that time, my OB already told me to stay in the hospital as I might give birth soon. So the waiting game started.

But by 6am, I was super hungry! Hahaha. I had to text my OB to ask her if I can eat as I was really really really hungry. She told me to wait another hour and if my labor doesn’t progress, then yes, I can eat. At around 7am, the resident OB performed another IE and noted that I was still at 3cm and gave me the go signal to have a light meal. YEHEEYYY!!!

From 8am to 9am, nothing much happened aside from calling our relatives and updating them with what is happening. Doctors and nurses came in our room from time to time to check on me. At this point, my contractions were getting stronger but it was still tolerable. It was painful but not TOO painful.

Around 9am, I was starting to drift off to sleep when I felt water gushing out from you know where. Initially, I thought I was peeing in my sleep but when I tried to hold it in, I couldn’t. I knew then that my water just broke. We immediately called the nurse and as I stood up to go to the toilet to wash up and change undies and pads,  more water came out. There really was no way of holding it in!!! I even tried squeezing my legs together but the water just kept coming out. :p

When I finally got to the toilet, I saw that my water had a greenish tint. I knew it was NOT a good sign. I learned in birthing class that a greenish discharge meant only one thing – meconium stain. So we immediately told the resident OB and she confirmed this. At this point I am still at 4cm and baby has not even engaged yet.

They called my OB and reported the situation. My OB then called me and calmly told me that I had to go for an emergency c-section because: 1. Well, because of the meconium stain and the risk of baby digesting poop; 2. The baby is getting stressed inside the womb.

When I heard this, I couldn’t help but cry. I really wanted to give birth the normal way. But at the same time, I had to think about the baby’s health as well. I sadly told her to go ahead with the c-section.

So from 10:00 to 10:30am, they started prepping me for the operation. My contractions were getting stronger and I had to hold my husband’s hand during some of the contractions. I also had to tell the nurses to stop poking me with needles when the contractions came in. :p It was a fun laboring experience though as my husband kept entertaining me with silly antics and jokes.

10:30am, they were wheeling me in the operating room with my husband beside me. Then the anesthesiologist administered the epidural and in a few minutes, the operation started. I remembered that I had a hard time breathing when the starting pushing on my stomach (i guess it’s because liam was still too high and they needed to push him downwards for my OB to get him). it was awful. i complained to Lui that it was painful and it felt like someone crushing my heart. Good thing my husband was there to hold my hand and to comfort me. ❤

Finally, at 11:18am, my son was out! I couldn’t help but cry when I heard him crying. It was such a relief to hear him cry and know that he is okay. I glimpsed a head full of hair and a cute looking baby (yes I am biased). They cleaned him up and brought him to me to see.




My husband was also able to hold him. It was a sight to behold as it was actually my husband’s first time to ever hold a baby! And he looked so uncomfortable. hehehe


All in all it was an easy pregnancy and a not too bad delivery. I did get nauseous because of the food I had around 7am plus the epidural, but all in all it was a good birthing experience. I am also grateful that I let my friend Benz, talk me into getting a birthing photographer. It was one less thing to worry about – I didn’t have to think about whether my husband is getting any good pictures or not. Plus, my husband was not busy taking pictures and can concentrate on comforting me. ❤

Some of the things that went wrong though: my pedia didn’t initiate unang yakap. Because of the meconium stain, they had to observe my son closely in fear that he might have digested poop and might be aspirating. They also brought him to the NICU so I wasn’t able to nurse him in the recovery room. The next time I saw him was already at 6pm!  I really think that these events contributed to my not-so-smooth breastfeeding journey (story to follow) and I am determined to have a better experience this time around!

Well, that’s it. Hahaha at least I was able to post my eldest’s birthing story before #shobepanb came out! hahaha.

Oh and here’s the slideshow created by Regina >>>

Thanks for reading! 😀


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s